Re: Improving the kernel/i386 timecounter performance (GSoC proposal)

From: Prashant Vaibhav <prashant.vaibhav_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:02:34 +0530
...and that is _exactly_ what I propose(d) in the beginning and what OSX
already does. Further, keeping the shared page and functions fixed at the
end of the memory space has advantages like not needing any special linking,
being easily accessible for code jumps or data reads, and so on [1]. The TSC
issues are but one part of the puzzle.
After this week-long discussion I still can't decide whether this was
something that's desirable at all: keeping in mind that it's among the few
project ideas tagged as "Suggested for Google Summer of Code 2009" on the
FreeBSD website.  :-\  Though I've been reading mailing list archives, and
the various handbooks, I'm not familiar well enough with other parts of the
freebsd kernel to draft another concrete proposal on my own at this time.

[1] *Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach,* p 595, Amit Singh, ISBN
0321278542