Re: Improving the kernel/i386 timecounter performance (GSoC proposal)

From: David Xu <davidxu_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:38:01 +0800
Prashant Vaibhav wrote:
> ...and that is _exactly_ what I propose(d) in the beginning and what OSX
> already does. Further, keeping the shared page and functions fixed at the
> end of the memory space has advantages like not needing any special linking,
> being easily accessible for code jumps or data reads, and so on [1]. The TSC
> issues are but one part of the puzzle.
> After this week-long discussion I still can't decide whether this was
> something that's desirable at all: keeping in mind that it's among the few
> project ideas tagged as "Suggested for Google Summer of Code 2009" on the
> FreeBSD website.  :-\  Though I've been reading mailing list archives, and
> the various handbooks, I'm not familiar well enough with other parts of the
> freebsd kernel to draft another concrete proposal on my own at this time.
>
> [1] *Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach,* p 595, Amit Singh, ISBN
> 0321278542

Without using ELF, but using signal like trampoline code as we current
do makes it very difficult for some language to do asynchronous stack
unwinding, e.g pthread async cancellation and C++ objection destruction.

See my recent work for pthread cancellation and stack unwinding:
http://people.freebsd.org/~davidxu/patch/unwind.patch

Check x86_64_fallback_frame_state() to see what hacking code should be
written.

Regards,
David Xu