Re: kernel compile fails without AH_SUPPORT_AR5416

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 10:34:43 -0700
Bruce Simpson wrote:
>>> Do not modify ah_desc.h like you've done.  Add this to conf/options
>>>
>>> ATH_HAL   opt_ah.h
>>>
>>> and use that to enable AH_SUPPORT_AR5416.
>>>
>> To clarify the first comment: you've made it impossible to build code
>> w/o the extended format descriptor; this is what I find unacceptable.
>
> Ah, of course, duh -- I forgot about the CaPiTalIzAtion of the device
> name gets pulled into config(5) with the 'device' keyword. Thanks for
> the reminder...
>
> This is a much cleaner fix for the issue than forcing the option to be
> set on always. It looks like HEAD has this issue too and this can go
> right in there.
>
> Are we happy with AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 being enabled in 7.x GENERIC?
> The 'out of box' config hasn't been broken by the change and this is
> identical to to the situation in HEAD as far as I can see.

Not sure I understand your last question.  If you fix the code so it's
not dependent on "options AH_SUPPORT_AR5416" then you can just remove it
from the GENERIC config files.  Otherwise the intent was that "device
ath_hal" would enable all available chip support so yes we want support
for 5416 and later parts.

In fact AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 is probably not needed at all; we can
conditionalize the code according to the device config; e.g.

#if defined(ATH_HAL) || defined(ATH_AR5416) || defined(ATH_AR9160) ||
defined(ATH_AR9280)

or possibly consolidate this check in one spot and define something like
AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 to enable the extended descriptor format support.

Beware of driver code that depends on AH_SUPPORT_AR5416 (grep shows
several uses).

For now just fixing the immediate problem is sufficient; I'll get to
cleaning this stuff up later (unless you care to deal with it).

    Sam