Re: Patch for "device_attach: estX attach returned 6" on half of the cores

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 01:26:12 -0500
On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 09:22 +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Recently I had filed a PR,
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=134192
> that should heal the situation when estX isn't attached properly
> on the half of processor cores (the odd ones).  I am seeing this
> only on Asus MBs, but this could show up on other hardware as well.
>
> If anyone sees such symptoms, I encourage them to test the patch.
> The patch itself contained in the PR, but for ease I had put it
> there,
>   http://codelabs.ru/fbsd/patches/acpi/attach-children-without-aliases.diff
> and will sync PR's one and this one in the case of any changes.

I'm seeing this on both an ASUS and an Intel board that I have.  Both
have core2duo E7400's in them.  I have applied this patch to the Intel
board so far, but unfortunately now both cores fail equally.

cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 6164a2306004a23
device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 6164a2306004a23
device_attach: est1 attach returned 6
p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD