Re: Patch for "device_attach: estX attach returned 6" on half of the cores

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:18:50 -0500
On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 15:28 +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Mon, May 04, 2009 at 01:42:18AM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> > Without this patch, cpu0 does attach correctly.
>
> On the Intel MB?  If yes and you'll be able to to some debugging,
> please, try the attached patch and send the output of 'dmesg',
> 'sysctl dev.cpu', 'sysctl dev.cpufreq' and 'sysctl dev.est'.

Ok, just to publicly state that the Intel board apparently was not
attaching to core0.  I saw the failure and assumed that it was cpu
related and would be the same as the Asus board.  Should I still apply
this patch?

> > > One could check if the patch will help by examining the output of
> > > 'apicdump -d' and looking for the Alias () directives for the Processor
> > > objects.  Here's what I have for my laptop:
> > > -----
> > >     Scope (_PR)
> > >     {
> > >         Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
> > >         Alias (P001, CPU1)
> > >     }
> > >
> > >     Scope (_PR)
> > >     {
> > >         Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
> > >         Alias (P002, CPU2)
> > >     }
> > > -----
> > > So in this case we essentially have 4 Processor objects under _PR,
> > > but only two objects are real ones and only they should be attached.
> > >
> > > For the completeness, could you, please, show the output of 'acpidump
> > > -dt 2>&1' for both of your machines?
> >
> > Attached.  The Asus does appear to use aliases as you described.
>
> Then you should have est attached to cpu0/cpu2 and rejected on
> cpu1/cpu3, aren't you?  The output of 'sysctl dev.cpu', 'sysctl dev.est'
> and 'sysctl dev.cpufreq' will be also helpful.  Will you be able to try
> my original patch on the Asus system?

Ok, the patch is applied on the Asus board and it now appears to be
working correctly.  I've re-enabled powerd now, so we will see how that
goes.  When it was only attaching to core0 the board would hang at times
with powerd enabled.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>