Re: Feedback and Questions Updating to CURRENT

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:30:20 +0300
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 04:35:15PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Caveat:  If you update anything, you'll probably
> have to update everything.  Otherwise, you'll
> end up with some things linked against old libc
> and others linked against new libc, which breaks
> badly.

Hopefully, this is much less a concern with 7->8 transition,
because our libc, libpthread and libm have symbol versions. I expect
that these three libraries will not get the bump when 8 is going to
be released. Probably, libutil may be exempt from the bump too.

On the other hand, most if not all other system libraries are not
converted to versioned symbols. I am not sure whether the full ports
rebuild is actually needed.