Re: howto sidestep sysinstall during installation

From: Jerry McAllister <jerrymc_at_msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:04:05 -0400
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 03:45:03PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Saifi Khan wrote:
> > Is there a way to sidestep the sysinstall during the
> > installation process, beyond selecting the 'location' ?
> >
> > i'm using FreeBSD 8.0 200905 i386 snapshot DVD and looking
> > for an approach to drive the entire installation from the
> > Fixit# command line console.
> >
> > i'm a experienced Gentoo Linux user.
> >
> > Any suggestions, pointers or observations ?
>
> You won't be able to partition the disk from the command line because
> the install MFS doesn't have any of the requisite tools to do so.

???????   I don't understand this comment.
Recreating a disk - slice/parttion/newfs - is one of the main things
to do under a fixit.   You should have fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs there
as well as restore for sucking dumps back in.

The only thing to remember is that the running writable root file system
under fixit is in memory.   You have to make sure that what you do is to
the disk and that the fstab you create is on the disk.   It is easy to
lose track and make an /etc/fstab modification or a mount point in the
MFS and then find it is no longer there when you reboot.  But, you just
have to pay attention to where you are doing things.

////jerry