Re: howto sidestep sysinstall during installation

From: Saifi Khan <saifi.khan_at_twincling.org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 00:52:19 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 11 May 2009, Vincent Hoffman wrote:

> > > Is there a way to sidestep the sysinstall during the
> > > installation process, beyond selecting the 'location' ?
> > >

> > Since you are using the snapshot DVD you should have the live/fixit
> > environment which is very handy for this.
> > I would suggest a combination of LOTS of reading and understanding of
> > the pages at
> > http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2
> > (which goes though the steps for partitoning and installing using fdisk
> > and bsdlabel, adjust paths to your dvd-rom)

Thanks Vince for the link that was a nice starting point.

Thanks to everybody who chipped in with pointers and help with
learning the various concepts.

Using the Fixit# console (LiveDVD) i could install FreeBSD 200905
snapshot (bypassed the sysinstall). i plan to write an article
on the experience shortly.

Since then, i've installed the following software:
 . xorg X 7.4 meta port (complete)
 . postgresql 8.3.7
 . apache 2.2.11
 . diablo-jdk 1.6.0
 . opera 9.64
 . dwm
 + many others.

There were two errors/quirks that i noticed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saifi/sets/72157618010835543/

 1. crash encountered while running sysinstall from the booted
    up system.
 2. same crash encountered while running 'make fetch' for many
    of the ports. (rather random in occurence).

Anybody encountered this issue ?

thanks
Saifi.