Re: howto sidestep sysinstall during installation

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:07:38 +0100
On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 00:52 +0000, Saifi Khan wrote:
> There were two errors/quirks that i noticed.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/saifi/sets/72157618010835543/
>
>  1. crash encountered while running sysinstall from the booted
>     up system.
>  2. same crash encountered while running 'make fetch' for many
>     of the ports. (rather random in occurence).
>
> Anybody encountered this issue ?

These don't look like crashes to me, but are probably "lock order
reversals" (or LORs).

Basically, what this means is that a situation was detected, that may
lead to the possibility of a deadlock.  Some of these are real bugs that
need fixing, others have been verified to be false alarms.

You can compare the ones you have seen with the list maintained at
http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor.html and see if you are seeing a
LOR that has already been reported (more than likely).  Please also note
that several LORs have probably been fixed without this page being
updated, so don't worry too much about the fact there are a lot of them
on that page in the "unknown" state.

In short, unless you yourself are doing development work in the kernel
and see these relating to your own code, you probably don't need to
worry about it.

Gavin