Re: newsyslog(8) patch for both size and time checks

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:48:55 -0400
At 9:57 PM +0200 5/13/09, Mel Flynn wrote:
>On Wednesday 13 May 2009 00:29:36 Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>  If compatibility is essential, perhaps we could
>>  add a new flag to control this behavior.  (I would
>>  argue for changing the default and providing a flag
>>  to obtain the old behavior.)
>
>Fine on the flag, maybe mergemaster could be a little more assisting in this
>case, since I'm not looking forward to "just adding a flag". Like mergemaster
>-p could auto-upgrade the lines that have both columns with values?

Somewhere on one of my machines, I started on a update which made
it pay attention to multiple lines, and "or" those.  So:

/var/log/dhcpd			640  5     5000	*	JC
/var/log/dhcpd			 "   "     *	_at_T00	JC

would mean "rotate if either condition is true".  My thinking was
that I might also like to:

/var/log/dhcpd			640  5     1000	_at_T00	JC
/var/log/dhcpd			 "   "     5000	*	JC

That would say that I *generally* prefer that the log is rotated at
midnight, but if something goes wild during the day then let's start
rotating them faster.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn_at_rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org