Re: Building boot2 for ixp425

From: Jon Loeliger <jdl_at_jdl.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 14:33:55 -0500

> boot2 would've complained differently if there was no CF plugged
> in/readable.

Indeed.
    cfwait: error, status 0x7 error 0x1

> Unfortunately no; we're lacking bi-endian UFS support so the big-endian
> image you probably made on an x86 box won't be readable.  The nanobsd
> logs files should provide everything you need to verify the
> construction.  It's possible however you transferred the data to the
> part wasn't right but my experience is that when that's broken you get
> different symptoms like the boot process just stopping w/o console output.

> My usual process is:
>
> 1. run nanobsd.sh to construct image

I did that. This is the command I ran:

    cd tools/tools/nanobsd/gateworks
    sh ../nanobsd.sh -c ./avila

> 2. dd if=/usr/obj/mumble/_.disk.full of=/dev/da0 bs=63b (or similar)

I believe that's the command I used.  It was bs=63b.

> 3. move CF part and boot

Right.  But you have to do the middle part too.

> People do this all the time so not sure why you're having so much
> trouble.

But it was the boot2 creation process that didn't
fall out of the instuctions and wasn't clear to me.

Part of the confusion stems from my inexperience of not knowing
what parts of the build process are either wiped clean, left
around, going to interfere with or are required by the next step,
and environment settings.

These things likely are "just known" by you.  Last time I
built a FreeBSD system was about 15 years ago.  Sorry.

I think the "nanobsd" build machanism would be way cleaner
if it operated more in distinct steps rather than tried
to "do it all".  The problem being that the necessary boot2
step isn't in the mix, so I've had to totally re-deduce the
environment that nanobsd was trying to setup and use.

Step 1.  Buildworld
Step 2.  Select/create BOOT2 kernel conf
Step 3.  Build boot2 kernel, and boot2 image,
         Squirrel boot2 image away in /tftpboot, ignore kernel
Step 4.  Select/create AVIAL or G3248 kernel conf
Step 5.  Build your real kernel, Root FS and full disk image using ...
Step 6.  Copy full disk image to CF
Step 7.  Burn boot2 onto flash
Step 8.  Install CF card and boot

Thanks,