Re: syslogd starting before IPv6 network is up

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 18:59:03 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 23 May 2009, Nicolas Blais wrote:

> I migrated one of my 8-CURRENT (Thu May 21) box to IPv6 and since then, I
> get the following message at boot:
> and syslogd obviously fails to start. Apparently this problem has been
> reported before, but no actual solution other than start syslogd from
> rc.local was given.

It's theoretically the same issue with IPv6 + pf, etc.  BUT (se
further down)

> Here's my rcorder /etc/rc.d/* if it helps:

> /etc/rc.d/netif
> /etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl
> /etc/rc.d/atm2
> /etc/rc.d/pfsync
> /etc/rc.d/pflog
> /etc/rc.d/pf
> /etc/rc.d/ppp
> /etc/rc.d/routing
> /etc/rc.d/ip6fw
> /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6

^^^^^^ this needs to move up to around atm2.

> /etc/rc.d/syslogd

syslog comes later.

> Although it would seem syslogd should start after network_ipv6, it is not
> actually the case during the boot.

So do you have console output from rc?  Maybe turn on rc debugging and
see what's going on?

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                      The greatest risk is not taking one.