Re: fixing kobj signatures

From: Ulf Lilleengen <ulf.lilleengen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:54:16 +0200
Andriy Gapon wrote:
> I think I have completed fixing signatures of kobj method implementations in the
> whole head tree.
> The current diff here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/
>
> It is quite arbitrarily split into the following files:
> kobj-agp.diff
> kobj-arm.diff
> kobj-linker.diff
> kobj-other.diff
> kobj-sound.diff
>
> Most of the changes are quite trivial but not all.
>
> o kobj-linker.diff - I am not sure if changing interface signature was a good idea.
>
> o kobj-sound.diff - this is a slightly updated version of the patch previously
> posted to multimedia ml;
> Ariff, could you please let me know about your plans with respect to 8.0 release?
>
> o kobj-arm.diff - it seems that npe_miibus_writereg in
> sys/arm/xscale/ixp425/if_npe.c) could now make use of non-void return type to
> properly report errors (XXX cases). But I am not sure if it is actually checked in
> the calling code (otherwise how does it work now?).
> Maybe there are more places like that.
>
> Please review the patch. I might have done something wrong, made some obvious
> mistake (like typo) or missed an opportunity to improve the code beyond mechanical
> changes.
>
> I tested the patch by enabling 'notyet' definition of KOBJMETHOD in kobj.h and
> building the following: all arm kernels (without modules), GENERIC kernels for all
> archs that have them (with modules), LINT kernels for all archs that have them
> (without modules).
>
> It is quite possible, of course, that some incorrect signatures were not found
> using the above build. For instance, in the code under some non-default option.
> But I think the number of such functions should be quite small and they should be
> trivial to fix later.
>
> I propose this patch for inclusion into the three before 8.0 freeze depending on
> response from Ariff.
> if this patch is not committed before 8.0 freeze (whole or any significant portion
> of the patch), then I'd like to request a branch under users/ where I could
> integrate this patch for future merging.
>
>From http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/kobj-agp.diff:

-static int
-agp_nvidia_flush_tlb (device_t dev, int offset)
+static void
+agp_nvidia_flush_tlb (device_t dev)
 {
 	struct agp_nvidia_softc *sc;
 	u_int32_t wbc_reg, temp;
_at__at_ -379,7 +379,7 _at__at_ agp_nvidia_flush_tlb (device_t dev, int offset)
 	for(i = 0; i < pages; i++)
 		temp = ag_virtual[i * PAGE_SIZE / sizeof(u_int32_t)];

-	return (0);
+	return;
 }

No need for the return;