Re: FreeBSD 8.0 - network stack crashes?

From: Tom Judge <tom_at_tomjudge.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:51:19 +0000
Weldon S Godfrey 3 wrote:

> If memory serves me right, sometime around 9:37am, Pieter de Goeje told me:
>
>> Are you perhaps using em(4)? There was an mbuf leak in the driver,
>> which was fixed recently.
>> You can check mbuf usage with netstat -m.
>>

> we are using onboard NICs on the Dell using the bce driver.  We did try
> several times to see if using an intel PCIexpress card using the em
> driver, and we had the same symptoms.
>
> Could the bce driver have the same leak?

The bce driver does not have a memory leak, it does however have a bug
which causes memory fragmentation leading to denied mbuf allocation.

There is a work around for this in current, you can get the patch like this:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/

You need to put

options		BCE_JUMBO_HDRSPLIT

In your kernel to enable the work arround.

Tom