Re: Help needed: TCP Wizards (was 8.0-RC1 NFS client timeout issue)

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 22:26:38 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Rui Paulo wrote:

> Are you running TSO?

I spoke too soon the last time. It appears that the setting of
net.inet.tcp.tso does not have any effect and that the Intel chip
on this machine doesn't do TSO. (I tried swapping it for a 3C905 and
the RSTs are showing up.)

I guess it was just coincidence that the RSTs seemed to stop happening
for a while after I flipped the sysctl.

I think the problem is related to the fact that the server end has
started to close down the connection (send a FIN), but the client
doesn't do anything until an RPC shows up and then tried to do a
new connection right after shutting down the old one. (Solaris10
generates RSTs on the old connection and it seems that somehow
triggers one being sent to the server with the new port# instead
of the old port#.)

I'm about to try doing a soshutdown() at the time the server sends
the FIN to the client, to see what effect that has.

I still can't figure out where the pesky RST gets sent or I could
get a stack trace at that point and see what is doing it.

Having lottsa fun with it, rick