Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:58:56 +0100
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:41:59 +0300
S.N.Grigoriev <serguey-grigoriev_at_yandex.ru> wrote:

> I followed your tips. The kernel configuration now contains options DDB
> and KDB. The sysctl variable 'debug.debugger_on_panic' is set to '1'.
> After the 'sysctl debug.kdb.panic=1'  command the debugger prompt
> appears.
> To have a crash dump I should type 'panic' on the debugger prompt.
> If I type 'reboot' instead, there are no crash dumps. Is that behaviour
> correct?

In this case yes, because you forced the panic by setting the sysctl.

> Another question: must all panics go to the bebugger prompt?

They should, if the kernel itself causes the panic.  As Alexandre
wrote, a hardware problem probably would not cause a kernel panic.

I've seen panics like this myself and they were almost always caused
by faulty memory.  Running "make buildworld" really stresses the
system and reveals hardware faults like that.

> I still have neither crash dumps nor debugger prompt during
> world/kernel compilations. Just reboots.

Are you in the console or running Xorg when it happens?

---
Gary Jennejohn