Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Alexandre \ <gaijin.k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:47:32 -0500
On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:58 +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:41:59 +0300
> S.N.Grigoriev <serguey-grigoriev_at_yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> > I followed your tips. The kernel configuration now contains options DDB
> > and KDB. The sysctl variable 'debug.debugger_on_panic' is set to '1'.
> > After the 'sysctl debug.kdb.panic=1'  command the debugger prompt
> > appears.
> > To have a crash dump I should type 'panic' on the debugger prompt.
> > If I type 'reboot' instead, there are no crash dumps. Is that behaviour
> > correct?
> >

> In this case yes, because you forced the panic by setting the sysctl.
>
> > Another question: must all panics go to the bebugger prompt?
> >

> They should, if the kernel itself causes the panic.  As Alexandre
> wrote, a hardware problem probably would not cause a kernel panic.
I really hope I have not written anything like that ;-) I have seen
plenty of panics induced by hardware problems -- from faulty memory to
overheated CPU and beyond. What I was trying to say that a reboot
*without a panic* is more likely a hardware problem than not.

--
Alexandre Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)