Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:07:05 +0100
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:57:49 +0300
S.N.Grigoriev <serguey-grigoriev_at_yandex.ru> wrote:

> 10.11.09, 10:58, "Gary Jennejohn" <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
> wrote:
>
> > I've seen panics like this myself and they were almost always caused
> > by faulty memory.  Running "make buildworld" really stresses the
> > system and reveals hardware faults like that.
>
> Is there a non-zero probability that 7-stable irrespective of faulty memory
> ALWAYS works fine on the same hardware (including 'make -j 8 buildworld')
> but 8.0 ALWAYS crashes?

Who can say?  Newer versions of FreeBSD could be more aggressive in their
memory usage.  Other parts of the kernel like the ATA/AHCI subsystem also
use hardware capabilities more fully.

It seems that the kernel is not seeing any panic, otherwise it should
land in the debugger.  This points to some hardware problem, especially
since other users are not reporting crashes like you see.

---
Gary Jennejohn