Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:28:46 +0200
on 10/11/2009 15:57 S.N.Grigoriev said the following:

> 10.11.09, 10:58, "Gary Jennejohn" <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
> wrote:
>
>> I've seen panics like this myself and they were almost always caused
>> by faulty memory.  Running "make buildworld" really stresses the
>> system and reveals hardware faults like that.
>
> Is there a non-zero probability that 7-stable irrespective of faulty memory
> ALWAYS works fine on the same hardware (including 'make -j 8 buildworld')
> but 8.0 ALWAYS crashes?
>
>> Are you in the console or running Xorg when it happens?
>
> Yes, I'm in the console. Xorg is not install at all.

I can not provide any help with your problem, sorry.

But I'd like to point out one thing.  I think that it was you mistake to report
your problem in this thread as opposed to a new thread or a PR.  This thread
started with a report by Kai Gallasch about a lock order reversal panic.  Hence
the subject of this thread.  Then you said that you have "the same problem", but
the symptoms you described were a spontaneous reboot without any panic messages.
So some people spent their time trying to help you to set up kernel dumps, some
people missed your report because of the subject, some people missed Kai's report
because the discussion went the wrong way, some people were tempted to point to
the latest hardware issue discovered.
Apologies that I picked on you, but it's not helpful when such a different stuff
is piled up into the same thread.

Just for the record, here is the original message:
http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.current/browse_thread/thread/7cdc98adfb88a34d
And it's clear lock order reversal panic that was lost in th noise generated by
the followups.

Yours ranting,
--
Andriy Gapon