Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: S.N.Grigoriev <serguey-grigoriev_at_yandex.ru>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:15:18 +0300
10.11.09, 09:15, "Mark Atkinson" <atkin901_at_yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Andriy Gapon wrote:
> > on 10/11/2009 17:22 gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de said the following:
> >> Well, OK, I may have misinterpreted what you wrote or have chosen bad
> >> wording myself to convey the same message.  Nonetheless it looks like
> >> a hardware problem to me.
> >
> > [Trying to make up for my previous mistake.]
> >
> > The symptom certainly looks like misbehaving hardware, but other information from
> > the reports seems to suggest that it is possible that this misbehavior might be
> > caused by software misconfiguring the hardware.
> >
> > I would re-test vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled=0 just to be sure that it was correctly teh
> > first time.
> > I would try to see how 8.0-RC1 kernel behaves and in general try to find last
> > working, first non-working version.
> > It would be useful to know any (if any) non-default loader.conf and rc.conf
> > settings or kernel config (if not GENERIC).
> >
> > Not a trivial issue unless it is hardware indeed.
> >
> Also, you can try adding:
> hw.mca.enabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf, reboot,  and then see if there
> is a machine check exception on the console during the buildworld.

Mark,

I've added hw.mca.enabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf and got the following
screen during the buildworld:

 -c /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as/../../../../contrib/binutils/gas/sb.c

MCA: CPU3 UNCOR PCC OVER DTLIB L1 error
MCA: Address 0x8015fb000

Fatal trap 28: machine check trap while in user mode

Fatal trap 28: machine check trap while in user mode
cpuid = 3, apic id = 03

I've typed 'panic' at the 'db>' prompt but got no crash dump.
Tell me please what can I do for further problem investigation.

--
Regards,
S.Grigoriev.