Re: Final call for testers: TERM=xterm

From: <sthaug_at_nethelp.no>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:56:17 +0100 (CET)
> The fact that FreeBSD doesn't do this is a bug.  The purpose of
> /etc/termcap is to document the actual capabilities of the terminal, and
> saving and restoring the screen is one of xterm's capabilities, but
> somebody who didn't like it unilaterally decided to force their own
> personal preferences on everyone instead of tweaking their own shell
> configuration (export LESS=-X).

That may be so. However, I (like others on this list) hate that feature
and its default usage in Linux with a passion. If the FreeBSD default
is changed I guess I'll hate that equally much, which is kind of sad -
because in most respects FreeBSD does what I want.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug_at_nethelp.no