Re: Final call for testers: TERM=xterm

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:31:47 +0100
Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net> writes:
> I'm not in a position to test this at the moment, but does this mean
> our console will now also "fold" paging/editor applications?  I hate
> this feature with a passion on linux and I've unable to find out how
> to disable it, especially since the few linux machines I manage have
> no termcap or terminfo database on the places they say they should be.

The fact that FreeBSD doesn't do this is a bug.  The purpose of
/etc/termcap is to document the actual capabilities of the terminal, and
saving and restoring the screen is one of xterm's capabilities, but
somebody who didn't like it unilaterally decided to force their own
personal preferences on everyone instead of tweaking their own shell
configuration (export LESS=-X).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no