Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:59:26 +0200
on 11/11/2009 22:13 Mark Atkinson said the following:

> Well, you're about at the point I am now with my HP dl385g5, only
> turning off superpages would result in a successful buildworld.   Mine
> would often machine check during gas compilation as well.

Mark,

you mentioning MCA was magic moment for me.
I was debugging a problem which seemed to be quite different, but now I think that
it converges to the problem discussed in this thread (if indeed it's the same
problem for all reporters).
The difference is that I use a "consumer level" system based on family 10h Athlon
II and you use Opterons, seemingly also 10h or Fh families.
I guess that means that you and Kai both use "high end"/"server grade" systems or
some such.  It's possible that firmware/BIOS on your systems enables and monitors
MCA by default, even when the OS is not MCA-enabled.
As such, I am curious if you have any BIOS settings that look like being related
to Machine Check.  Or perhaps there is something like Event Log in BIOS.  Maybe it
even gets something useful.
Could you please check?

About my problem - it seems that I was working from the opposite end.  I have been
using head/CURRENT with pg_ps_enabled=1 for quite a while now.  And then I decided
to try hw.mca.enabled=1 and after that I started having the same symptoms as
described here.  Unfortunately, I never did get Machine Check trap, it's always
something that looks like CPU halt and then reset by watchdog (if it is enabled).
So, for me:
superpages and no machine check - works
machine check and no superpages - works
machine check and superpages - problem