Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Kai Gallasch <gallasch_at_free.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:13:44 +0100
Am Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:59:26 +0200
schrieb Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>:

> on 11/11/2009 22:13 Mark Atkinson said the following:
> >
> > Well, you're about at the point I am now with my HP dl385g5, only
> > turning off superpages would result in a successful buildworld.
> > Mine would often machine check during gas compilation as well.
>
> Mark,
>
> you mentioning MCA was magic moment for me.
> I was debugging a problem which seemed to be quite different, but now
> I think that it converges to the problem discussed in this thread (if
> indeed it's the same problem for all reporters).
> The difference is that I use a "consumer level" system based on
> family 10h Athlon II and you use Opterons, seemingly also 10h or Fh
> families. I guess that means that you and Kai both use "high
> end"/"server grade" systems or some such.  It's possible that
> firmware/BIOS on your systems enables and monitors MCA by default,
> even when the OS is not MCA-enabled. As such, I am curious if you
> have any BIOS settings that look like being related to Machine
> Check.  Or perhaps there is something like Event Log in BIOS.  Maybe
> it even gets something useful. Could you please check?

Hi.

Here is one BIOS options on my server that is of possible interest to
this kind of problem:

Advanced Options ->
  Processor Options:

No-Execute Page-Protection (DISABLED)

"Enables the HW portion of a feature that allows systems to be protected
against malicious code and viruses. In combination with an OS that
supports this feature, memory is marked as non-executable unless the
location explicitly contains executable code. Some viruses attempt to
insert and execute code from non-executable memory locations.
These attacks are intercepted and an exception is raised."

--Kai.