Re: Help ZFS FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 Write performance issue

From: Artem Belevich <fbsdlist_at_src.cx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:10:22 -0800
>> So in short, you are saying the to get "normal" performance out of
>> ZFS+NFS, the best way is to invest in an Areca and 2 SSDs :))

I'm using LSI1068 8-port card and I'm pretty happy with it.
My controller is on motherboard, but you can get AOC-USAS-L8i card
with the same chipset fairly cheaply.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS-L8i.cfm

The gotcha is that while it's PCI-e card, its bracket is oriented in
opposite direction compared to regular cards and components are on the
wrong side of the board. However, bend the bracket the other way (or
find regular bracket that would fit, or rig something to keep the card
in place) and you're in business.

As for where to hook up SSDs, I personally like the new AHCI driver.
It does seem to have lower per-transfer overhead compared to the MPT
driver for LSI1068 and shows better results for small sized transfers
from my X25-M SSD (~10% gain over mpt).

--Artem