Re: WITHOUT_MODULES, does it actually work?

From: Ben Kelly <ben_at_wanderview.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:28:40 -0500
On Nov 17, 2009, at 10:44 PM, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Ben Kelly <ben_at_wanderview.com> wrote:

>> /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile:

>>> Well it seems my search was not exhaustive.
>>>
>>> My recommendation then would be to file a src PR so that someone can
>>> look into it. :)
>>
>> I've opened a doc PR for the bad example in the handbook and a conf PR for
>> the patch to make WITHOUT_MODULES work from the kernel config file using
>> makeoptions.  I haven't gotten PR numbers back from the system yet.
>>
>> - Ben_______________________________________________
>

> So, basically .. not only man make.conf and the handbook examples are wrong
> .. WITHOUT_MODULES doesn't actually work :s
>
> Thanks a lot for your research, testing, PR and patches Ben !
> Please, should you be able to, I would like to know the PR number so I can
> follow it.
> Hope your patch makes it in and WITHOUT_MODULES works as expected :)

No problem.

Just to clarify, though.  The content of man make.conf looks correct to me and the variable did work if you put it in /etc/make.conf.  The only issues I saw were the example in the handbook and the failure of makeoptions in the kernel config file.

I do think you could get a number of the modules in your original list excluded if you specified them differently:

WITHOUT_MODULES=firewire bwi bce bfe iwi iwn zfs

Basically remove the dev/ prefix you have on some of them.

Hope that helps.

- Ben