Re: WITHOUT_TELNET=yes .. does it work?

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:05:00 +0000
>On 18 Nov 2009, at 14:01, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
>> Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>>> If it's done for other WITHOUT_ options, it's not obvious to me.
>>
>> tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc
>>
>> Poor placement IMHO, we shouldn't have dependencies from src into tools.
>
>Its obscure location explains why it doesn't work. :-) Maybe it

Not altogether: it works fine, for those knobs that developers have
seen fit to support in the file.  The problem is that some developers
neglect it entirely.

>should be src/OptionalFiles.inc? That said, it still sounds like a >significant maintenance problem to me: we have a lot of >WITHOUT_ options, and they may have non-trivial interactions...

Being aware of what is built, and what is installed, is part of
maintaining the base system, and in that regard maintaining this file
is little more than writing down information that developers should
already have determined if they are properly supporting the various
base system knobs.  Along with the knobs, it's very useful to those of
us who want to remove unneeded parts of the base system, and I wish it
was more conscientiously maintained.  Let's not exaggerate the
difficulties involved in doing so.

For the fellow who was concerned about removing his SSH port: yes,
it's something to consider.  But you are not obliged to run make
delete-old[-libs], and even if you do want to run it, you can do so
without defining WITHOUT_SSH.

Regards,
           b.