Re: 8.0-RELEASE completed...

From: Gary Kline <kline_at_thought.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:57:58 -0800
	Some  questions that I hope are not too far OT::

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 07:06:01PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu>
> > Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:06:23 -0500
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable_at_freebsd.org
> >

> > Just a quick note in case there are people here who aren't subscribed to
> > the freebsd-announce_at_ mailing list.
> >
> > We have completed the 8.0-RELEASE cycle.  Details about the release are
> > available from the main web site, in particular the announcement itself
> > is available here:
> >
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/announce.html
> >
> > Thanks for all the help with testing during the release process, as well
> > as your continued support of FreeBSD.
>
> And congratulations and thanks to the entire FreeBSD release engineering
> team and the contributors. It's a .0 release, but my experience with it
> through the release cycle has been excellent. I especially appreciate the
> new USB stack which has fixed all sorts of annoying issues (and a couple
> that were a lot more than annoying) in the old stack.

/*

	I echo Kevin's congrats, of course; it ain't getting any
	*easier*, certainly.

*/

	Altho I am still some time from having my migration from the
	1998 Kayak -> 2009 Dell done and working, will it be possible
	to upgrade my 32bit 7.2-R, p4 to a 64bit 8.0?  Even tho i am
	documenting __everything__, it isn't something I would care to
	do more than necessary.  In going from 32bits to 64, does the
	filesystem change?  My hunch is that it does, but thought I
	would get that clear as a first step.  My Intell duo-core is
	very fast; would moving to the 64-bit system be a net gain or
	loss [in performance].

	Eventuaaly, I *will* have  64-bit micros, killers or
	otherwise, :-) ...

	thanks in advance.