Re: libthr on current breaks some ports

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:22:26 +0100
Manfred Antar wrote:
> The new addition to Makefile on /lib/libthr  "-Wl,-znodlopen "
> Breaks php4 and mhash on my current 1386
> I'm sure other ports that use it are broken too as can't load the lib.
> Remove -Wl,-znodlopen and everything works again.

As others have said, this shouldn't work at all.

In the specific case of PHP, I know it is very easy to have various
extension libraries compiled at different points in time and system
state, some of which might be using pthreads by accident or by bad design.

Specifically, a compile-time port configuration option for SQLite (and I
think at one point in time was also for PostgreSQL) is to build
"threaded" client libraries, which once caused me many interesting and
hard to debug problems.

PHP, and especially PHP4, should never ever have anything to do with
pthreads.