Re: FreeBSD 8.0 - network stack crashes?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:29:37 +0000 (GMT)
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Eirik Øverby wrote:

> I just did that (-rxcsum -txcsum -tso), but the numbers still keep rising.
> I'll wait and see if it goes down again, then reboot with those values to
> see how it behaves. But right away it doesn't look too good ..

It would be interesting to know if any of the counters in the output of
netstat -s grow linearly with the allocation count in netstat -m.  Often times
leaks are associated with edge cases in the stack (typically because if they
are in common cases the bug is detected really quickly!) -- usually error
handling, where in some error case the unwinding fails to free an mbuf that it
should free.  These are notoriously hard to track down, unfortunately, but the
stats output (especially where delta alloc is linear to delta stat) may inform
the situation some more.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge