Re: svn commit: r198306 - head/sys/net

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:17:29 +0000
On 10/22/09, Li, Qing <qing.li_at_bluecoat.com> wrote:

>> Perhaps not strictly necessary, but wouldn't it be better to have it?
>> What is your rationale for not using making it conditional on SMP?
>>

> If the definition itself is not within the preprocessor command, what
> is the benefit of having it in the code ?

Do you mean what is the benefit of including the preprocessor
commands? Well, in that case, because there is less unnecessary code
to compile and traverse.  If you mean to ask why sys/sys/smp.h was
included unconditionally, to use smp_started and mp_maxid when they
don't need to be used in the case of non-SMP kernels, then I'm
guessing that the original author didn't really care all that much
about efficiency in the non-SMP case, or at least that a unified
treatment of SMP and non-SMP was more appealing to him, and I agree
that further improvements could be made.

b.