Re: Trouble booting system with root within gvinum volume

From: Sean C. Farley <scf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:41:09 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Sean C. Farley wrote:

> I have been trying to setup a system (testing with VirtualBox) using gvinum.
> Here are the basics for the setup.  Some steps skipped for the install, as
> they look good.  Unfortunately, I only get (F1, F2 and F3). Pressing F3 only
> provided a '#'.  I have the two "drives" connected to SATA ports within
> VirtualBox.
>
> I originally tried to add the fake root via gpart, but it has no
> mechanism to create a partition that overlaps another one.  gpart show
> does not show the fake root (should be partition 1 in ad4s3 and
> ad6s3), so I am suspicious that it is not seen.
>
> The idea for the Vinum root was taken from here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/vinum-root.html
>
> Also, would the swap below be able to accept a core dump from a panic?

*snip*

> # Add bootstrap code to both drives.
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ad4
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ad6

I figured out the boot problem.  I need /boot/boot installed in the
slices:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot ad4s3
gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot ad6s3

I had "conveniently" commented out the lines for that.  No F4 shows for
booting from ad6s3.

However, does anyone know the answer to the question about striped swap
being able to save a core dump from a panic?  Are there any other issues
with using a stripe (gvinum, gstripe or zfs) for swap?

Sean
--
scf_at_FreeBSD.org