Re: gpart, bsdlabel and fdisk

From: Dimitry Andric <dimitry_at_andric.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:44:27 +0200
On 2009-10-22 03:54, Robert Noland wrote:
> As I understand it (never actually tried it), Windows XP/Vista
> whatever... Don't understand GPT yet, so you can't really dual boot with
> it.  For that you probably still need an MBR scheme.

This depends on the type of Windows, and whether the system has UEFI.
See: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

In short: Windows after XP64 and 2003 server understand GPT for data
disks, but not booting; Windows 7 and 2008 also support booting from GPT
using UEFI.

How well the Windows boot loader handles dual- or multi-boot, I have no
idea.  It might well have the usual Microsoft behaviour, e.g.
overwriting any other boot partitions. ;)