Re: Strange issue with Samba on 8.0rc1

From: David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:05:11 -0700
On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Sorry, but I can only give you generic ideas:
> - It is unlikely that the storage media (flash) with FreeBSD has
> errors in such a way that would cause this subtle error

I agree about the flash.  I would expect it to fail in blocks, and if it
were out of spare blocks, almost everything would be acting strange.  I can
probably test for this by comparing files in /usr/obj and /usr.

- Can you try a "known good" FreeBSD 8 configuration? I.e. from a Live
> CD or USB media? The "live" edition has csup and everything else you
> could need.

That's a good idea, and the next thing I'll try.

- Can you try a simple cheap "known good" NIC? I see that retail
> Realtek-based PCI NICs sell for less than $10.

I'd have to choose between PCI-E and USB, and the PCI-E is tricky because
the case doesn't have a cutout for it.  I did try the vr0 interface, too
(but not exclusively; I left the vge interface up), and it had the same
problems.  Since these things are usually wired directly to the Southbridge,
a problem in the Southbridge driver would show up with any PCI(E) device.