Re: Strange issue with Samba on 8.0rc1

From: David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:31:16 -0700
Remko Lodder wrote:
> Wait.. Are you telling us you have a
>
> vr and an vge card in the same network? that would surely generate
> problems. One of them will reply for the ARP address of the requested
> IP, because they both know the address for
> that. That could mean that sometimes the traffic goes to the vge, and
> sometimes to the vr device.
>
> The thing to avoid that is by unsetting ARP questions on the
> interface, and statically assigning it to your devices (arp -S/-s) so
> that they will only talk with the correct interface.
>
> The way I read this, it will never generate a good working test...

Yes, but I only set it up to see if the problem is with vge, so it was
down when I initially saw the problem.  They do have different IP
addresses, so while the ARP reply might come from either, I would think
that it would be correct, and all incoming traffic would go to the right
interface.  I'm not sure about outgoing traffic.  There weren't any
warnings in dmesg or /var/log/messages about my configuration.