Re: siis/atacam/ata/gmirror 8.0-BETA3 disk performance

From: Derek (freebsd lists) <"Derek>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:25:54 -0400
Thank you for your informative response.

Alexander Motin wrote:
> Derek (freebsd lists) wrote:
>> I've been testing the new siis driver, and I have found no
>> appreciable performance change, using dd as a measure of "raw"
>> performance.
>
> On linear read/write, without port multipliers used, performance of siis
> driver is not so much differs from legacy driver. The most of it's
> benefits are NCQ, FIS-based switching and command queuing affect mostly
> highly parallel random workload.

That's good news, in that the behaviour is expected.

>> I get about 40MB/s read, and 30MB/s write.  See attached
>> bench-*.txt files.
>
> It's too small, indeed. Actually, there are two different kinds of siis
> compatible devices: SiI3124 and SiI3132/SiI3531. SiI3124 is more
> expensive PCI-X card, sometimes it goes with built-in PCIe x4 bridge. To
> operate effectively it needs effective bus. Inserting it to usual PCI or
> PCIe x1 slot kills any hope. SiI3132/SiI3531 same time are cheap PCIe x1
> cards. Nobody have ever seen them giving more 130-150MB/s, even looking
> that PCIe x1 should give 2.5Gb/s.

I've got the SiI3124, plugged into a PCI bus.  While I know PCI
is really slow by today's standards, I was hoping to see
performance closer to the bus limits.

My rates are 30% of the maximum "theoretical" bus utilization
(33Mhz*32-bits).  The figures you give for PCIe x1 are around 40%
of maximum (on the low end of the figures) utilization, so we're
in the same neighbourhood.

> To completely load gmirror on read operations, you may need to run two
> dd's same time. Also make sure, that your gmirror runs in round-robin
> mode. Default split mode, which should help with linear read, is IMHO
> ineffective, at least with default MAXPHYS and slice values.

I'll play around with this as well, I'm not too interested in
tweaking stuff much in production, but it would be interesting to
see just how this performs.

In production, I plan to use the gmirror for swap, and zfs for
everything else.  It seems that for swap usage, linear read isn't
a great model.

Thanks again!
- Derek