Re: MAXPHYS and physical memory (Was: Re: siis/atacam/ata/gmirror 8.0-BETA3 disk performance)

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:46:46 +0300
Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 September 2009 16:51:35 Alexander Motin wrote:
>
>> For maximum linear I/O performance you may want to build kernel with
>> options 	MAXPHYS=(1024*1024)
>
> I've found that just doubling the default MAXPHYS already panics-on-boot a
> 1.5GB i386 system. Is there any reasonable conversion table for MAXPHYS to
> physical memory, since various memory related kernel setups are derived from
> or calculated with MAXPHYS?

What especially your panic was about? It could be bug in ATA(4) or some
other code, that does not handle MAXPHYS correctly. I don't think that
you could reach memory limit during simple system boot because of that.
I am successfully running my testing Pentium-75 with 64MB RAM with 1MB
MAXPHYS.

Could you show your panic message?

--
Alexander Motin