Re: MAXPHYS and physical memory (Was: Re: siis/atacam/ata/gmirror 8.0-BETA3 disk performance)

From: Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 23:01:03 +0200
On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:46 Alexander Motin wrote:
> Mel Flynn wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 September 2009 16:51:35 Alexander Motin wrote:
> >> For maximum linear I/O performance you may want to build kernel with
> >> options 	MAXPHYS=(1024*1024)
> >
> > I've found that just doubling the default MAXPHYS already panics-on-boot
> > a 1.5GB i386 system. Is there any reasonable conversion table for MAXPHYS
> > to physical memory, since various memory related kernel setups are
> > derived from or calculated with MAXPHYS?
>
> What especially your panic was about? It could be bug in ATA(4) or some
> other code, that does not handle MAXPHYS correctly. I don't think that
> you could reach memory limit during simple system boot because of that.
> I am successfully running my testing Pentium-75 with 64MB RAM with 1MB
> MAXPHYS.
>
> Could you show your panic message?

It's been a while since I last tried, during 7.1-STABLE. Two different
machines wouldn't boot, both 1.5G; loading kernel.old, then commenting the
MAXPHYS change, rebuilding kernel made things work, so I stopped pursuing this
at the time.
I remember the panic message quite early page fault, one of the first drivers
loaded (ahci or acpi). Since this is supposed to work, I'm going to pursue it
further and see if I can still reproduce it.
--
Mel