Re: Reducing noise in dmesg output

From: Nick Hibma <nick_at_van-laarhoven.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:56:15 +0200
> What is irrelevant is subjective...  I mean does the average user really
> need to see anything in dmesg?  Please don't change agp_i810.c.  A
> verbose boot is incredibly noisy and rarely needed for debugging
> anything except the most deep rooted of issues.

Please state arguments instead of this 'I think it is useful'. That's not
going to cut it. If you feel strongly about the info that is being produced,
an option would be to produce a (tested!) patch that combines more
information on one line as a compromise.

FreeBSD has historically been producing very limited output on dmesg. Linux
is very noisy (ever noticed the copyright notices right in the middle of
your list of PCI devices?). Even they have decided that they should hide
this behind coloured 'ok/failed' texts in some distributions.

FreeBSD has slowly been producing more and more output (most notably the USB
subsystem up to 7.x) and I am intending to remove that clutter again, or at
least compress it.

Being swamped with information reduces its value rather than increase it.

Nick