Re: Reducing noise in dmesg output

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 22:01:53 -0700
>> FreeBSD has historically been producing very limited output on dmesg. Linux
>> is very noisy (ever noticed the copyright notices right in the middle of
>> your list of PCI devices?). Even they have decided that they should hide
>> this behind coloured 'ok/failed' texts in some distributions.
>
> I think this speaks more towards needing something between "Very
> Quiet" and "Give me everything every developer has ever wanted to know
> enough to include a print for it."

Other possibilities:

  * Provide a per-driver control to determine verbosity.  That would
make it easier for developers who really do want to see "everything
there is to know in my part of the world".

  * Put more information into the kernel buffers (and from there into
dmesg) and less on the screen.  That would reduce visible boot verbosity
while retaining the post-hoc debugging value of dmesg(1).

Cheers,

Tim