Re: Funding ODD support

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 19:55:38 +0300
Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> I'm looking for somebody who has time and knowledge to fix ODD support
> in FreeBSD.
> I'm willing to sponsor a decent ammount.
> My problem is that I can't use FreeBSD for any task in which CD or DVD
> is involved.
> What I want is read/write support for any ATAPI/S-ATA ODD regarding
> ISO9660 and audio. Of course I'd love to have UDF support also, but for
> the beginning I'd be glad if FreeBSD could boot with an inserted audio
> CD. This has been a problem for more than two years now, and disabling
> DMA support for ata devices isn't a satisfying solution.
>
> So if you think ypu can fix this and make growisofs and cdrtools working
> with ATAPI and SATA devices, please contact me.
> If we have working ODD support in 8.0-release I'll donate 100 extra bucks.

Funding is good, but could you first once more repeat what is your
problem? Which controller do you use? Which drive? Which disks and which
applications? Have you tried to use different controllers, drives,
disks, applications? I am asking because there quite a lot of people
successfully using ODD on FreeBSD.

--
Alexander Motin