Re: 8.0-beta3 does not detect several ata channels

From: Nick Hilliard <nick-lists_at_netability.ie>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:40:52 +0100
On 08/09/2009 18:25, John Baldwin wrote:
> So as with the other pciconf output I got, it seems that it is reading the
> registers ok in both cases.  Can you add some printfs to the ata driver to
> figure out when it starts behaving differently (e.g. reading a value from a
> register) between the mcfg=0 and mcfg=1 cases on 8?

oh my, this is causing sadness.

I've installed 8.0 on a usb key and am running into the mountroot problem
that others are seeing:

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-September/011445.html

The usb key is a 2yo Kingston unit.

> umass0: <Kingston DataTraveler 2.0, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.10, addr 2> on usbus1
> umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
> umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 3936MB (8060928 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 501C)

/ is mounted on /dev/da0s1a, and when I type "ufs:/dev/da0s1a" at the
mountroot> prompt, it usually continues bootup, but not always.

However, if I use a PS/2 keyboard when it boots up, the console keeps on
scrolling up as if the cat were sitting on the return key, and it refuses
to accept any input from the keyboard after mountroot>.  A USB keyboard
usually works better, but not always.  And it only works if I plug in the
keyboard before turning the machine on.  Frustrating :-(

Anyway, at this stage, I have a bootable usb key with an 8.0-beta4 kernel
built on it, and reboots mostly work.

You'll have to excuse me but my ata driver clue is epsilon away from zero.
  If you can tell me what sort of stuff to put where, I can build a kernel
with local mods and report on what it's doing.  But being inventive with
this is beyond my understanding of what's going on in the pcie subsystem.
Sorry :-(

Nick