virtualbox: out of memory on start [Was: DRI initialiazation fails on 8.0-BETAx/M54]

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:03:02 +0300
on 02/09/2009 17:03 Andriy Gapon said the following:

> BTW, I have a different but potentially related problem - after running a
> head/current system for a while I am losing an ability to start VirtualBox. It
> complains about something "no memory" too.
> The system is amd64 with 4G of RAM with only a handful of processes started.
> Maybe we got some regression in memory area (e.g. pmap)?

So I got this problem again and I'd like to gather as much useful debug
information as possible, but I am not sure what would that be.

Here's a message from virtualbox:
GVMMR0CreateVM: failed, rc=-8

This machine has 4GB of RAM and only a handful of applications are started (but
in KDE4). But memory usage line from top looks suspicious:
Mem: 1439M Active, 199M Inact, 1308M Wired, 669M Cache, 392M Buf, 61M Free
Wired is huge, Buf and Cache are also substantial.
Maybe something to do with ZFS?

And, yes, just noticed, this is what virtualbox wrote in virtual machine's log:
Host RAM: 3822MB RAM, available: 30MB
So it seems like it needs Free memory and can not pressure other memory to get
freed or got to swap.

--
Andriy Gapon