Re: virtualbox: out of memory on start [Was: DRI initialiazation fails on 8.0-BETAx/M54]

From: Bernhard Froehlich <decke_at_bluelife.at>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:43:24 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, September 13, 2009 10:03 am, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 02/09/2009 17:03 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>>
>> BTW, I have a different but potentially related problem - after running
>> head/current system for a while I am losing an ability to start
>> VirtualBox. It
>> complains about something "no memory" too.
>> The system is amd64 with 4G of RAM with only a handful of processes
>> started.
>> Maybe we got some regression in memory area (e.g. pmap)?
>
> So I got this problem again and I'd like to gather as much useful debug
> information as possible, but I am not sure what would that be.
>
> Here's a message from virtualbox:
> GVMMR0CreateVM: failed, rc=-8
>
> This machine has 4GB of RAM and only a handful of applications are started
> (but
> in KDE4). But memory usage line from top looks suspicious:
> Mem: 1439M Active, 199M Inact, 1308M Wired, 669M Cache, 392M Buf, 61M Free
> Wired is huge, Buf and Cache are also substantial.
> Maybe something to do with ZFS?
>
> And, yes, just noticed, this is what virtualbox wrote in virtual machine's
> log:
> Host RAM: 3822MB RAM, available: 30MB
> So it seems like it needs Free memory and can not pressure other memory to
> get freed or got to swap.

I've had a look at the code and found that "available" is interpreted as
"free" which is wrong. According to my understanding available RAM means
Free + Cached + Inactive so i have created a patch for that and commited
it to our svn port as r491.

Could you please give it a try? (we have automatically build tar's now :o)

http://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port.tar.gz

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/