Re: Boot-time hang with the CISS driver on HP 385

From: Raul <raul_at_pop.isdefe.es>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:52:28 +0200
Andrew Tulloch escribió:

>>> ciss0: PERFORMANT Transport
>>> ciss0: can't allocate interrupt
>>> panic: mtx_unlock() of spin mutex (null) _at_
[....]
>> ... whatever. As a quick and dirty try i've erased nvram leaving behind all
>> previous settings. As a result, boot process goes further ... and stop
[....]
> I found my issues seemed to be related to the bge controller in the
> machine and setting the tunable:
> hw.bge.allow_asf=0
>
> resolved the problem for me and the machine would reliably boot and
> has worked flawlessly since, have you tried that at all?

I did it without success as Andrew suggest me in mid july. My problem
was a little before during the boot process. After the bios messing I've
found that I have to set hw.bge.allow_asf to 0 to be able to complete
boot on both boxes.

Trying to reproduce the problem on the second box, I've seen that there
is no way to pass the ciss boot problem using the proposed media for
release 8. However, installing 7.2 release and compiling RELENG_8 works
perfect :/

[....]
> worth changing it back if it makes a lot of machine unbootable?

as far I concern ... :)