Re: Boot-time hang with the CISS driver on HP 385

From: Andrew Tulloch <andrew_at_flarn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:54:16 +0100
2009/9/11 Raul <raul_at_pop.isdefe.es>:
> Raul escribió:
>
> [....]
>>
>> ciss0: PERFORMANT Transport
>> ciss0: can't allocate interrupt
>> panic: mtx_unlock() of spin mutex (null) _at_
>> /usr/src/sys/dev/ciss/ciss.c:1903
>> cpuid = 0
>> KBD: enter: panic
>
> [....]
>
> After (some) re-reading and comparing dmesg's of other colleagues with this
> hardware (hp dl 385) something wrong was happening with the irq mapping on
> my boxes (acpi?). Several upgrades of bios, other OS running on them before
> ... whatever. As a quick and dirty try i've erased nvram leaving behind all
> previous settings. As a result, boot process goes further ... and stop
> setting something about ipv6. I'll see more tomorrow.
>
> Maybe this can also help on other systems with similar ciss controllers.
>
> Regars,
> Raul.

Raul,
I found my issues seemed to be related to the bge controller in the
machine and setting the tunable:
hw.bge.allow_asf=0

resolved the problem for me and the machine would reliably boot and
has worked flawlessly since, have you tried that at all?

I've seen other people mentioning similar issues with bge0 in HP
machines not working with 8.0
This tunable defaults to 0 on RELENG_7, but 1 on RELENG_8 might be
worth changing it back if it makes a lot of machine unbootable?

Regards,
Andrew