Re: Still can't seem to get sysutils/hal compile on current.

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:37:07 -0700
> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:25:08 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > This REALLY needs to be in UPDATING, right up front. I hit it (but
> > figured it out fairly quickly). Lots of folks are going to hit it. It
> > needs to be down near the end in the update step-by-step section and
> > also to be very prominent in the release notes. Otherwise this will
> > become the main FAQ for a long time to come. (It might still be.)
>
> This btw is one of the reasons we tell people to remove all their
> ports to do major version upgrades, although your point about updating
> UPDATING is well taken. Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge
> of the topic will take that on.

While your recommendation of removing all ports and re-installing is a
good one, the actual recommendation made was to re-install all ports and
that is inadequate for this one as both portmaster and portupdate will
not install libusb and tell you that it is now in the base system, but
will then try to re-build everything with the header files and the
sharable still in place. Kaboom!

When you have several hundred ports installed (not uncommon for a
desktop system), the odds of catching the warning about libusb is not
too good.

I think that the first step to updating ports when upgrading the OS from
7.x to 8.0 should be to explicitly: 'pkg_deinstall libusb' and then
'portupgrade -af' or 'portmaster -af'. (I still have not had time to
play with portmaster, so that command may not be right.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)