Re: Still can't seem to get sysutils/hal compile on current.

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:55:08 -0700
Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:25:08 -0700
>> From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
>>
>> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>> This REALLY needs to be in UPDATING, right up front. I hit it (but
>>> figured it out fairly quickly). Lots of folks are going to hit it. It
>>> needs to be down near the end in the update step-by-step section and
>>> also to be very prominent in the release notes. Otherwise this will
>>> become the main FAQ for a long time to come. (It might still be.)
>> This btw is one of the reasons we tell people to remove all their
>> ports to do major version upgrades, although your point about updating
>> UPDATING is well taken. Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge
>> of the topic will take that on.
>
> While your recommendation of removing all ports and re-installing is a
> good one, the actual recommendation made was to re-install all ports and
> that is inadequate for this one as both portmaster and portupdate will
> not install libusb and tell you that it is now in the base system, but
> will then try to re-build everything with the header files and the
> sharable still in place. Kaboom!

I'm sorry, I don't really parse this sentence. Unless I'm missing
something, removing all your ports and making sure that /usr/local/ is
actually cleaned out will solve the problem you're describing. If I'm
missing something please clue me in.

> I think that the first step to updating ports when upgrading the OS from
> 7.x to 8.0 should be to explicitly: 'pkg_deinstall libusb' and then
> 'portupgrade -af' or 'portmaster -af'. (I still have not had time to
> play with portmaster, so that command may not be right.)

There is a step-by-step on replacing ports after a major version
upgrade at the end of the portmaster man page. I do not recommend
using '-af' for this purpose, although that option is discussed there
as well.

hth,

Doug