Re: 8.0-RC1 Available

From: Johny Mattsson <johny-freebsd_at_earthmagic.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:10:30 +1000
Ken Smith wrote:
> a patch set was committed by the people who handle porting ZFS to FreeBSD
> that they felt makes ZFS production-ready.

Hi there,

I only loaded up -BETA4 over the weekend, and went through the extra
hoops to get a ZFS root (and everything else) to give that a spin. Aside
from the already-reported lock-order-reversals on zfs unmount, I ran
into a slight issue when using freebsd-update to go to -RC1 --- It nuked
my ZFS-aware /boot/loader and left me stranded at the loader prompt.

Now this is quite arguably self-inflicted and now that I'm aware of it I
can make sure I'm careful around it in the future, but is there any
chance of having either

  a) the loader be ZFS-aware by default (especially if ZFS is now
considered production-ready)?

or

  b) have freebsd-update notice that /boot/loader has changed from the
initial install and leave it alone (and maybe whinge about it)?

Either way, good work on getting ZFS in!
Cheers
/Johny