Re: tmux(1) in base

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 00:26:05 +0200
Sergey Vinogradov <boogie_at_lazybytes.org> writes:
> Despite the zsh(1) has appropriate license, it needs autotools and
> iconv (both GPL AFAIK), so it's hard to include in the base system.
> The things in the base system I always wondered about are sendmail
> and bind9. These are pretty heavy, and definitely are not used in every
> single installation. Maybe someday I'll see sendmail and bind9 in ports
> instead of base system. And yes, I know about WITHOUT_BIND= and
> WITHOUT_SENDMAIL= :)

1) Even in sh mode, zsh is not sufficiently POSIX-compliant to replace
   our /bin/sh (and I say this as the maintainer of the zsh port)

2) Sendmail is used at least twice a day + once a week + once a month on
   every single FreeBSD installation in the world except those where the
   admin has intentionally installed and configured another MTA.

3) Both BIND and Sendmail have strong historical ties to BSD, and a lot
   of users would be very surprised to find them missing from the next
   release.

4) The FreeBSD project has strong ties to and good working relationships
   with the people and organizations who write and maintain BIND and
   Sendmail, ensuring that they are well integrated into our codebase,
   that any concerns we should have about them are given serious
   consideration, that we always receive ample advance notification of
   any know problems, etc.

5) Both BIND and Sendmail are mature, robust, highly regarded, actively
   maintained pieces of software with strong developer and user
   communities.  Unbound, DMA, or whatever it is you would replace them
   with can only dream of enjoying a fraction of the respect that BIND
   and Sendmail command in the industry.

6) This discussion comes up with depressing regularity.  The arguments
   on both sides are always the same, as is the conclusion: you can have
   BIND and Sendmail when you pry them out of Beastie's cold, dead
   fingers.  Now go write some code.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no